To don_narayan: i love these words together - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great don_narayan 2006-01-16 12:19

Another excellent, drab and slightly depressing image, Kev. The composition is great, with the woman and the 2 trees... all well spaced, giving good balance. nice job, and good note... the low birthrate is problematic throughout eastern Europe... a nasty combination of low birthrates and emigration... consider Russia, which by 2050 will be nearly down to the population of 1950. The social and economic problems of this problem are going be hard... some countries are already rising the age of retirement. Lots if issues there. Anyways... nice reportage and image.

Narayan

Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 PM
TE Expert

Default To don_narayan: i love these words together

"Another excellent, drab and slightly depressing image, Kev" - it kind of makes me chuckle!! There are all sorts of comic voices in the UK (past) that you can imagine saying a phrase like that in a certain way! - kind of deadpan or even super deadpan depressive - anyway I'm sure that's not your voice here - I do know what you mean!

Yeah i was surprised to hear there were around 10,000,000 Poles living outside of Poland - add to that the br drop and you're right it's a workforce disaster in the making - retirement age here looks set to rise - you're healthier and living longer so we can sure work you longer!

many thanks

Kev
Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To don_narayan: i love these words together

no, that was said with a deadpan voice... but not super deadpan.

10million?? Wow, But I think a lot of these have been living outside Poland for a long time... like the Polish-Americans for instance have lived in the US for some time... although more are coming because they have established family... especially in Chicago. I heard a rumor that there are more Poles in Chicago (including suburbs) than in Warsaw... not sure if that is true though.

Narayan
Old 01-16-2006, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

I heard that too!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:02 PM
TE Expert

p.s. I think one has to stretch the imagination to say that you look likke a Pakistani from you photo - but there are the light skinned blue and brown eyed fair haired remnants of western invasion and procreation still knocking around the northern frontiers - so who knows!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Well, it was strange. I saw some Pakistanis walking around that city (they are know for opening up semi-radical maddrasahs). When i saw those people, I knew they had to be Pakistani (it is also easy for them to get there through the Khyber Pass)... and that I looked nothing like them. So, obviously it was funny to be mistaken as such. It would be like being in Uganda and someone thinking you were a local!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:43 PM
TE Expert

Now that would be strange!

My brother in law is an Afro-Carrib Celt - he is mistaken for an Arab in North Africa, Brazillian etc in South America, Pakistani in Pakistan - he just seems to fit in somehow wherever he goes - he even speaks Japanese!

He's the younger guy next to the woman in the blue coat (his sister - my wife!)

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo157334.htm

best wishes Kev
Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes, he would blend in in a lot of places. It is a good travel tool... which for many places I have as well. In Latin America I am never taken for a "gringo" and in Eastern Europe with my dark hair it is a similar situation... even in Turkey. Sometimes it's fun to see the surprise on someones face after they speak to you in their language expecting you to fully understand... then realizing you are a foreigner.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
TE Expert

....well I guess I do alright in Scandinavia and Germany!!

but anywhere south of Stuttgart.........
Old 01-17-2006, 06:57 AM
TE Senior Member

well that is a great thing about traveling... learning to be a minority if you are used to being in the majority. It can change one's perspective.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:50 AM
TE Expert

so true! so very true! never the same after my first trips to India.