To cgrindahl: Thanks I'm Looking Forward To The Workshop - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great yesterday 2004-08-17 10:06

Beautiful color, great straight line, excellent reflextion. If the picture sould be more correct, it should be a bit more of center.
1/3 over the hoizont and 2/3 og picture below, but I do like it.

Regards Kaj Nielsen

Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To cgrindahl: Thanks I'm Looking Forward To The Workshop

I agree totally with your opinion. I've printed this photographically, and enjoyed the result, but for some reason, everytime I tried to work this image in Photoshop, it appears too manipulated. I wish there was a mechanism where I could post to you the raw scan, and a scan of the print. Some of the others I felt overmanipulated the image, and it removed the air or luminocity of the soft north light. I really do think if I had used a stronger orange filter, some of the local contrast would have been stronger in the original negative, and that would have helped.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To cgrindahl: Modified Image...

After playing a bit, with the uploaded image, I think you got about the best compromise, it is an improvement!

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 08:34 PM
TE Expert

Default Dana - Its all a process of learning

I certainly wouldn't suggest this to you since I believe it is quite expensive, but a friend who is a professional photographer working in 4x5 format and producing images you will find in the Sierra Club Wilderness calendar sends his images out for "drum" scanning. I also had a brief exchange yesterday with man named Marek who posts under the name Nottinghill who sends his film to a lab for scanning. I don't know what kind of scanning they do. I'd asked what scanner he used because a color image he posted a couple of days ago of the Brooklyn bridge was so fine.

You are clearly skilled in conventional photographic techniques. I'm not. I rely on Photoshop, though my recent purchase of a digital SLR has resulted in much better captures, so less processing is required. Photoshop is so incredibly deep as a piece of software, that I expect it will take me a long while to be able to master the subtleties of image processing. Perhaps if you wish to post images digitally you will want to refine your skills with Photoshop as well. We ultimately learn by doing.

I hope you won't be discouraged. It is nice to have another West Coaster on the board! I'll tell you a secret. If you want people to look at your images, you need to be active on the board giving critiques of other folks work. There are so many images flying by that it is impossible to keep track of them all, even if one spends hours on the board each day. But there is a lovely etiquette on TE that if someone gives you a critique. you check their portfolio and respond with a critique. Some folks consider this trading compliments, but I consider it a wonderful way of building community. I've developed over the three and a half months I've been here, a lovely circle of friends from around the world to share images with, to talk about photography and processing and to muse about life. There is little to be gained in the sense of building community, if you pay attention to images posted by folks who aren't willing to return the favor. Not everyone has either the time or interest to get involved in the community, but that is the sure way to garner attention for your portfolio.