Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-29-2004, 03:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default Anyone traveling to Thailand around September?

I will be traveling to Thailand around September or a little after and am wondering if anyone is going to be in BKK around the same time and would want to backpack around with anyone. I will be staying in Thailand for about 3 months mainly in Bkk and heading south doing some island hopping and checking out what I can down there. If insterested to travel together for a while leave a message on here or e-mail at frizite35@hotmail.com
Old 03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Anyone traveling to Thailand around September?

Also if you aren't if you could answer this question for me. My digital camera needs to be charged so I will need to use an outlet where I'm staying what kind of adapter can I use to make it work and not blow my camera up or something? Thanks
Old 03-29-2004, 06:18 PM
TE Senior Member

Many (most) electrical sockets in Thailand accept both the Asian small pin plug and the US spade plug. (I don't recall ever using an adapter during several trips.)

Make sure your charger will operate on ~220v power. If not, just get a small voltage converter. www.REI.com and www.magellan.com are good places to look.

BTW, three months is a long time in Thailand. Consider side trips - Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Myanmar are conveniently close.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for the tip on the converter. I don't plan on being in Thailand the entire time just mainly that I'm going to be gone for 3 months whatever things come up for me while i'm gone will be great. this is my first trip out of country so i'm jus hoping things go well.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:19 AM
TE Senior Member

Well, let me warn you - you're heading down the slippery slope to SEA addiction. I made the mistake a bit over 20 years ago and it's a monkey that I can't get off my back.

The entire area is 220v and served by either the Asian small pin or US spade plug. Just take an adapter.

Thailand is a good 'first country'. It's easy to get around, very good public transportation. You should get your travel legs in a very few days.

Cambodia and Laos are easy visits from Thailand. You can visit both via land transport. Lots of good photo sites everywhere. Make sure you spend time just wandering around non-tourist areas.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:28 PM
TE Newbie

thanx once again, do you recommend any places to go i would like to stay off the "beaten path" and not be labeled a tourist or be where they are.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
TE Senior Member

First, lots of important, impressive places will be frequented by tourists, but don't let that stop you. Do not miss Wat Phra Kaew (The Temple of the Emerald Buddha) or Wat Po (The Reclining Buddha). They are extremely impressive. They will be visited by bus loads of tourists. If you go early or stay late the crowds should be smaller. Or if you're lucky the gates will be closed to tourists for an hour or so for a special ceremony. If you're already inside you will be allowed to stay and watch the crowd change from sweaty westerners to serene Asians.

But also wander around the area. Close by is Lak Meuang (The City Pillar), the Pig Shrine, an outdoor Hindu temple, old shop houses, an area of merchants of dried fish and shrimp, coffin shops, vendors of huge Buddhas,...

By all this I'm saying - explore. What may interest me may not interest you. Let your eyes, ears, nose, and curiosity drag you around SEA.

Check the maps in your travel guides and look for smaller towns/villages where tourists and travelers are less likely to visit. Those are the places where you're most likely to get good 'people' pictures. The people living in those places aren't going to be tired of tourists. You will be a novelty, an entertainment, and will get lots of smiles and welcomes lots of willing subjects.

Spend some time looking through the images on this site. Write down the places that people found good images. For example you might notice that I posted several monkey shots from Lopburi. There's a hint. Want to shoot some monkeys? Bet Lopburi would be a good place to visit. ;o)

There are a bazillion excellent images waiting to be captured in SEA. All you have to do is to look for them.

Enjoy.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:01 PM
TE Newbie

thank you for all your advice and passing along the knowledge. i am looking even more forward to going now. i hope that my stay will be as enjoyable as yours have been
Old 04-14-2004, 03:05 AM
TE Newbie

Do you plan to stay at Khao San? Are you going by yourself? Lonely planet Thailand is a good book to read. All is cheap in BKK, you just have to bargain with the locals.