Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Longroute 2018-01-16 3:31

I consider this photo quite good and informative. It's well framed and focused and it shows a very Indian reality. I'm stricken by her dress, all patches! And yet she wears a lot of jewels... here we have a completely different concept about ornaments than in our culture where women wear them to appear elegant and appealing. In India tribal culture jewels are -likely - just complying to tradition and to caste or tribal customs. She has a discontent look, perhaps perplexed, non being used to be photographed. I was quite timid and hesitant when I was in India to take pictures of people because I felt (and I knew) it could not be a well accepted thing.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM
TE Expert

Default To Longroute: pictures of people

Thanks for your comments.
My experience from many journeys to India is that most people don't mind being photographed. On the contrary, lots of people are enthusiastic to pose, or they just indifferently don't care. I have very rarely, if ever, met anyone who clearly objected. India has to be one of the best countries in the world for street photos.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Sensitivity

You have surely more experience and knowledge of India than me. I only went there once. I have a vague memory of having read somewhere, maybe in a tourist guide or such, about the attitude of Indians towards being photographed. But it was so long ago and my memory could be misleading, perhaps it referred to other nationalities. However I found myself in situations when my sensitivity suggested me it was not the case to take out the camera.
Thanks for your feedback.

D.