Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-06-2004, 09:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: "24 Hour Photo" - A Radical Idea?...

ok i understand what do you whant to say , "People when see a lot of critiques in a photo tend not to write because they feel all has been said and many times that's not true!" .

Yes i 'm agree with , and it's why i havent' got more critiques ! My photo seems perfect ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The problem, somme people don't like when we put somme negative critique so lot off people write like the other for have a good return !

But me and you,i think, want good critique ,because it's nice sometime, but some negative too for be better !

I read one time , a good sugestion , put a smiley near the profil for say : " ok you call tell me the best but the bad too on my photo !

I think i 'll be interesting too, you don't think ?

ps : no photo for you this week ?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:21 PM

The icon saying that a member accept hard (but constructive) critiques is also a good idea.

"no photo for you this week ?"
I have about 6 or 7 photos ready to post but this week I didn't had the time to research info for the notes... :-(
Besides that I'm feeling a bit lazy... I'm only human! :o)
Old 02-06-2004, 09:36 PM
TE Senior Member

Default The germ of a good idea ...

"The icon saying that a member accept hard (but constructive) critiques is also a good idea."

There does seems to be a difference between people who post here. Some want to hear only 'happy thoughts' about their work. Some want their work to receive a critical view.

I'd like to be able to sort out those two groups and concentrate my efforts on the images posted by people who want honest (both positive and negative) feedback.

I see no reason why these two groups can't pleasantly co-exist. As it now stands I occasionally tick off someone by suggesting how they might improve their shooting or editing when all they want to hear is 'Pretty picture'. And some of those pictures are indeed pretty. And I enjoy looking at them.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The germ of a good idea ...

"i see no reason why these two groups can't pleasantly co-exist "

me too ! i'm agree with you but how can we knows which people want hard and constructive critique ?
Just a sign on the profil, like ws some people accept but other don't want and we can see on the photo, but never make two groups, no never !

Sorry for my babel-fred english !
Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 PM
TE Newbie

How to say in English... Comment dit-on en anglais, «le mieux est l'ennemi du bien»?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:41 PM
TE Senior Member

How to say in English... Comment dit-on en anglais, «le mieux est l'ennemi du bien»?

Babbling Fish translates it as "best is the enemy of the good".

That's not a bad way to put it.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:14 AM
TE Senior Member

The idea is interesting for the members who already like the new possibility of not seeing the names and points under the thumbnail. It might not be so much appreciated for those who prefer seeing ths information. I think this new feature of letting us choose to see or not to see the names and points is the best we can have in order to satisfy everyone.

An alternative could be, we would only see the name of the photographer, points, and other critiques, only once our own critique would have been written and posted. So "you want to see, you have to write a critique".

As for a way to identify ourselves as wanting critiques OF ANY KIND, meaning praises but also CONSTRUCTIVE critiques on how to repair flaws or improve a future shot, I had suggested to Adam that we could have a flag beside our name. This flat would always be visible even for those who choose not to see names and points.
Do you think that could be interesting ?

We could also indicate such a wish in our intro but it's not everyone who reads the intros and we cannot always remember who likes it or not.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:16 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: "24 Hour Photo" - En français

Si j'ai bien suivi, Jose Elias propose que dans les 24 premières heures d'affichage d'une photo, le nom de l'auteur, toutes les critiques et les points soient cachés afin de ne pas influencer les critiques, d'inciter ceux qui hésitaient à laisser un commentaire à le faire tout de même.

Cela créerait un effet de surprise bénéfique à ses yeux. Pas d'effet accélérateur pour les photographes connus, sortie de leur contexte, les photos seraient critiquées pour leurs qualités propres et non pour la sympathie que présente l'auteur.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:24 AM
TE Expert

"As for a way to identify ourselves as wanting critiques OF ANY KIND, meaning praises but also CONSTRUCTIVE critiques on how to repair flaws or improve a future shot"

This is one of the main premises of the site. Even if the photographer doesn't appreciate it, there are others reading the suggestions and learning from such critiques. If one doesn't want such critiques then this site is probably not the best fit for them.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:09 AM
TE Junior Member

Adam and others: when you say that "This is one of the main premises of the site. Even if the photographer doesn't appreciate it, there are others reading the suggestions and learning from such critiques. If one doesn't want such critiques then this site is probably not the best fit for them." - I agree completely. As a novice hobbyist, I find reading all of the critiques, whether I make one or not helpful (feeling unqualified to make comments most of the time).

I also think that the choice to turn off points and names should be up to the viewer. I really like this website as it is. The 24-hour photo intrigued me, because if after 24 hours, all points and critiques are made available , then the site really hasn't changed in purpose or presentation, but does give that added something to those who do base their comments upon what others' have already said.