Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-12-2004, 08:08 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Digital? Great?

After you've burned your photos to a CD, it's a good idea to keep the CD itself in a dark area. Tests have shown that the dyes in CDs, both CD-Rs and CD-RWs, degrade over time. Some tests showed that in as little as two years, a CD exposed to light had 10% of its files corrupted. Many professional photographers who back up to CDs now back up the CDs every year or two so there's little chance of the CD degrading over time.
Another issue is how long the actual data storage method will last before it's obsolete? When CDs first came out, they were touted as being able to last indefinitely, and while - if handled correctly - a CD could last well into the future, would the technology to read the CD be around in 50 or 100 years? Or even 20 years? If you have data stored on a 5-1/4" floppy disk from the 1980s, it's doubtful you could find a computer today to access the information.
Not to sound doom and gloom, but if you're not printing your pictures on archival paper with probably a dye-sublimation printing process, you will need to keep abreast of new data storage technology as it gets into the mainstream, and transfer your photos to each new generation of media.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 PM
TE Newbie

Yes, that's the problem with digital pics. The key is to backup, backup and backup. I use DVDs because of their capacity. It is also wise not to store your pics on the same partition as your operating system.
What your lost photos concerns, there is nearly always a way to get (most of) them back. Stop immediately using the harddisk with the deleted files and buy a new disk. Install everything, including recovery software and with that software you can make an attempt retrieving your files.
If you need any help send me a message.
Pieter
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you all again for your help. Mike, I like your idea of sending the best photos to a gmail, which I just became aware of thanks to you.
The day when CDs will become outdated it will be a heck of a job to convert everything to the new technology! That's why I'm printing new pictures as regularly as possible now. Take care!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: gmail

Currently you need an invitation to gmail in order to sign up for it. However you should be able to get one via this thread.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:54 PM
TE Newbie

The best way for me to backup all my photos I have found is by sending them to an online photo server. Just take that few minutes to upload them & then it wont matter if youre pics are lost or even anything like youre house burned down, youre pics are safe online. A good site for this is Image Shack.

http://www.imageshack.us/index.php
Old 09-27-2004, 10:47 PM
TE Junior Member

Default i agree.

This is my line of work. On the CD I have all the images, and I never allow myself to delete the memory card until the images on it are not only on the HD, but on a CD. The HD is the periodically deleted.

Moreover, I store the original pictures as they come from the camera, keeping the modified ones with different names in different folders. I store on CD almost all the photos, except for those completely wrong/false shots or so. On a CD I store about 700 pictures: for 1 Ä, is really a cheap way to avoid nightmares :-)

Finally, the very best shots are periodically printed in my favourite shop.