Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "Display photographer name and points"

And i agree with Henk, Style can be much more than the "superfical" look of one thing.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
TE Expert

I think he feels that he can do his own thing and doesnt even care about the points.
====================================
Thankfully there are many members like this, this site would have been a complete bore if only pics that fit the taste of majority would have been uploaded.
Peter
Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 PM
TE Expert

style is a very complex subject. It can be about doing rather B&W, or the place one shoots, which makes it recognizable (if you put a picture from Shangai, then maybe people don't recognize you anymore, for ex.), it can be about actually having a way to frame 8 out of 10 scenes with people, according to the same angle, often too idiosyncratic. it can be about the way one likes to shuffle up a bit the shapes and plans in a shot, or simply has to do with the subjects of predilection (eric with monks for a while). But truly, these are not styles, except in a very general term, like "what you use to do in general". I think style must be in every corner of the photography, or it is just traits, not style. Think Avedon, HCB, but very few really. One of the things about photography is, IMO, that a great photographer, expecially as concerns photo-journalism and travel/non-studio portraits shooting, can substitute the capture of a special mood, moment, anything, without...well, without style. There are very few Arts, maybe it's the only one, and maybe that's why people still argue P-y is a craft, not an Art.

I notice critiques are very rarely about the "style" of a photographer, on TE, or what he is trying to achieve, even unbeknownst to him sometimes,, thru his body of work. I think you, Francis, is one of the few who has me very much interested in the whole outlook you give on things, shot after shot, raher than seeing them separated (which is also why I do not critique anyone so regularly). Maciej, inversely, I think he is, for now, more about capturing something outside (of him) than inside. Not saying he doesn't have feelings, of course, and this has nothing to do with quality of photography up or down. but the readability of the shots is less open to interpretations than yours for example.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:59 PM
TE Expert

everything in life is done under a certain style
------------------------------------------

yes, but i wish to stress, these are traits, of personality. what we do call style in life is not exactly the same thing in Arts, which often goes with much more work than we imagine, than just being born with it, or idiosyncratically repeated (though there has been a lot of formulas in the last decades, any Art).

Valid artists do work a lot on the elements that constitute their styles, and it is not achieved leisurely, but from total concentration and a good part from striving to control these elements so what is expressed is theirs as much as being separated physically from them (which in P., an Art with creation but still, first, reproducing what is "there", is usually always the case, unlike music or literarture, for ex.).

traits, formulas, do not automatically create a style.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Not forgetting that

Marketing and sales techniques are in no way equivalent to style... ;-)