To Manamo: Hi Marc - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Manamo 2007-11-04 17:51

Hello Angel,
It's a beautiful portrait of this old man. The crop is good and the bokeh is interesting. Despite the smile, it still look candid enough to have a very nice feeling in it.
However, I think the contrast is kind of soft in my opinion. I know, the portraits are not necessarily meant to be contrasty and the focus is not meant to be too sharp, but here, the skin of the man is interesting and I would have like strong contrasts and good sharpness. I made a workshop to show you what I mean.
See you!
Marc

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Manamo: Hi Marc

Your WS is very very good, I can see how you have obtained more datail on his face, turning it clearest. A very good work friend. I think it is a very good picture and you have done it better.
I donīt know how to use curves tool, but I will have to learn, because it seems very interesting.
Yhank you for your interes and your time and excuse me for my english. Best regards.
Angel.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Manamo: Hi Marc

Angel,
first of all, your english is quite good! You really don't have to worry about it! I'm not an english speaking person myself, so I understand the problems of speaking another language!
About the curves, well, I did not learn myself but I played with it a lot to understand how it works. If you use photoshop, you have to open an adjustment layer (always work on a layer). The curve appears as a diagonal line going from bottom left to top right. As a general rule, to obtain good contrast, the line must have a "S" shape. So you go at 1/3 from the top of the line and you move it just a little bit to the left. Then, you go at 1/3 from the bottom of the line and you move the line just a little bit to the right. That's what I did for your picture.
After the curve adjustment, I applied Luko's sharpening: http://www.trekearth.com/techniques/unsharp-mask.htm

Have fun my friend!

Marc
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Manamo: Hi Marc

Thank you for the lesson friend. I will try with some pictures, because I think I have understanded your explication. I have seen to make very good works with this tool and I always say to myself: one of these days I have to open curves and play with it, but i never did. I think it is time to try. Thans again and have a good day my friend.
Angel.