Access to Lens Information... - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-19-2004, 10:51 PM
TE Expert

Default Access to Lens Information...

The more involved I become in photography the greater my interest in lenses being used by members when they take photos. I know it is possible for the individual to specify lenses when they post an image, but I'm not certain everyone understands how to update their Profiles. In addition to information about the camera being used, there is an opportunity to designate the lenses one uses. Once listed in the individual's profile, then that information is available to add when the image is posted. Personally I would greatly appreciate having that information included. (I'm also delighted when camera settings are listed and pleased that Canon DSLRs provide that information automatically. I know with the Nikon 5700 I was using it generated the speed but never the aperture.)

I'm aware as well, Adam, that when a lens is listed for an image, it is possible to search on that lens to see other images created by all members using that lens. What I don't find is a way of accessing photos by lens type any other way. You don't include lenses used in the Intro and searching by lens type gets me nowhere.

For those of us who may be considering investing in lenses it would be useful to be able to see what members are doing with different lenses. I know there are excellent review sites for lenses on the web, so I'm not suggesting we critique equipment. But looking at photographs can help assess the capabilities of a lens.

(I guess this falls in part under the category of loose ends and rewriting the About section. It seems pretty clear that many new folks haven't caught on to the Equipment Profile... ;-) )
Old 11-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Banned

Default Re: Access to Lens Information...

Hi Curtis & all, in addition to lens I've been missing camera information too when researching for a new camera I was not able to find ay other member using the one I intended to buy, so I had to revert to the excellent dpreview forum. Still I miss the possibility to compare my works woth owners of the same cameras and exchange experience with them. I noticed many new members do not registrate any equipment at all, possibly coud mandatory registration of at least one camera improve that situation.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 PM
TE Expert

"What I don't find is a way of accessing photos by lens type any other way."

You can view all the lenses by clicking the Category tab and then the Equipment tab and finally the Lenses tab.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

Thanks for pointing that out Adam, however I think a bit of consolidation is required there, for example looking for my camera "Minolta Dimage 7", I find 2 entries, "Minolta Dimage 7" and "Minolta Dimage7", there is as well a "Minolta Dimage 7i" that is vey similar.
What do you think about mandatory camera registration at sign up time ?
Old 11-20-2004, 03:34 AM
TE Expert

Adam - Thanks for the assistance, though it took me a moment to locate the Category tab. (Only now do I note your link... you were obviously being much TOO helpful... ;-))

Of course, the problem that is mentioned by Jean exists for lenses as well, complicated by the fact there is no designation in most instances of who the maker of the lens is. That completely defeats the purpose I have in mind. Perhaps I'll simply have to content myself with enjoying photos and leaving lenses to another web site...

Of course, one could create a data-base of lenses and rather than permitting folks to write what they wish in the equipment profile, they would be asked to choose from the list. I understand this would be a daunting task, certainly not one I'm inclined to take one. It would also have to be updated regularly as new lenses come on the market. Perhaps you could assign the job to one of your corporate vice-presidents... ;-)
Old 11-20-2004, 03:47 AM
TE Expert

I would like to add an alias feature so one could specify their own terminology while at the same time linking the equipment to some standard name. For this reason, I don't want to consolidate names which are a bit different, like the 7i or the 7. However, I did consolidate the Dimage7 and Dimage 7 examples you give since they are definitely the same camera. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:50 AM
TE Expert

This goes hand in hand with the idea of allowing aliases to be used. Once this has been added, one can name their equipment however they wish while at the same time being registered in the 'official' listing of equiment names to make it easier to browse.

I'd like to do this with location names as well by the way. Thanks for the suggestions.

In the immediate future I plan on making some changes to improve performance, and allowing people to view the site in different languages directly, like fr.trekearth.com, jp.trekearth.com etc.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:49 AM
TE Junior Member

If I may add my two cents....

As has been mentioned, not always is the make or some other information regarding lenses posted. In part, at least in my case, there isn't enough space allowed in the dialogue box to permit a full name and model.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:55 AM
TE Expert

It's currently 20 characters max. How many characters would be needed? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:07 AM
TE Junior Member

Adam... My worst case appears to be my

Nikkor ED 80-400 MM f/4.5-5.6 AF VR Zoom

If I count right, 37 spaces for this one