Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-05-2004, 12:33 PM

Default July in India

hi guys,
this summer I am going to have some holidays, I was thinking about going to India for about 40 days...
I was thinking about flying to Calcutta, then going west visiting Varanasi, Agra, some Rajastan cities and flying out from Delhi...

but I am not sure about the weather, I have heard sth about monsoon season in this time... so, is it a good idea to go to India in July? Is it often raining all the time for two weeks? I don't mind the heat that much, but I don't think taking pictures in the rain is fun...

thanks
Maciek
Old 05-14-2004, 08:05 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: July in India

You should go to www.indiamike.com and ask these questions. (Search the forums first, probably this has been asked before.)
Old 05-26-2004, 03:53 AM
TE Junior Member

We have at least one Indian member of TE - Sohrab - maybe he hasn't noticed this thread and maybe never will, so maybe you could send him an email?

I think the monsoon would be just starting in July and well under way by August, which is mango-season. Don't be scared of the monsoon - it's often clear between storms. The coast gets more rain than inland, and gets it earlier. My own experience is from Burma and Cambodia - the monsoon never stopped me taking photos.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:55 AM
TE Senior Member

I think the time that I would avoid India is just before the monsoon. That's when the heat is the most intense. (And I've lived places where 110F was common in the summer.)

Realistically it's not going to rain much in Rajasthan, never does.

If you get to India after the rains have started you're going to get a lot of 'green' that few of us have seen. Dig through the Myanmar pics posted here. Someone posted from Bagan during/just after the rainy season and it's totally unlike what I've seen on a couple of trips during the 'dry'.

BTW, my LP guide says that Delhi gets ~8" in July, Bikaner ~4", Hyderabad ~7". That's hardly rain around here. Sort of a stormy day.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:34 AM
TE Junior Member

Bob has a good point abt avoiding the immediate pre-monsoon period - it's extremely hot. And Sohrab isn't around - he's off on a trip to Myanmar and places. Sorry.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:00 AM
TE Senior Member

Just thought of something. Look for a copy of "Following the Monsoon". Excellent read (IMO). They even made a short movie out of it but the book is far better.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:53 AM
TE Junior Member

I just got back from a business trip to India, but I was in only Bangalore and Mysore. The weather is much more pleasant around Bangalore than further south, helping to give it the name "The Garden City". It was about 25 to 30 degrees C most of the time. We had rain from late afternoon or early evening everyday, and I was told that the Monsoon had started early this year. But as others have mentioned, between the rain the skies are beautiful.

Sorry for the brazen plug, but if you want to see some of my pictures, check them out here. Many of the shots are pretty mediocre though, as I was travelling with two others, and couldn't spend much time to take the shots I took, and couldn't take the majority of the shots I wanted to. :-(