Namibia suggestions - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
TE Newbie

Default Namibia suggestions

There is a chance I will be visiting Windhoek between Sept. 20-28. I will have a few days to go out and explore. Given the limited time, which area would be the best to visit? I'd be more interested in the geology than wildlife. Would you suggest any tour operators, or should I just rent a car and go out on my own?
I'll appreciate all and any input. Thank you.
Hakan Delic
Old 08-28-2007, 02:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Namibia suggestions

Hi Hakan,

I am a geologist by profession and I have been to Namibia twice and it is a fantastic country for geology and wildlife, the advantage being that it is easy to combine the two together.

Near Grootfontein there is a large meteor impact site with the associated ejector mountain ring around it, I didn't get a chance to stop and visit it but it was on my list to see if possible. Also in the south you can go to the Fish River canyon (I believe second largest in in the world after the Grand Canyon) it is possible to do a few days hike through the canyon - I would recommend going with a tour company as it is very very hot in there. Also in the south is the ghost mining village which is slowly being eaten by sand dunes, once the wealthiest town on the planet. And of course there is the sand dunes at Sossusvlei - but if you go make sure to visit deadvlei as well - that was really one of my highlights of the trip.

Hope that helps

Andy