Touchy Situations - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default Touchy Situations

I was reading some of hte posts on street photography and dos and donts. I was thinking of touchy situations I have been in and would like to hear from other people their stories of what situations they have been in that have gotten them in hot water for taking photographs as a way to get some practicle examples of donts in street photography.

Recent example for me was in Korea. I had just come back from some palce in the country side and the station where i got off at was right next to an area called 588 I think. Its well known for being the red light district of Seoul. The korean I was with told me this and I said I wanted to walk threw there and see. I had my camera in hand but at my side. I was indeed being sneaky and shooting from the hip. As we were alost out of that area one of the girls standing in her display window came out and started to yell at me to put the camera away. I asked the korean girl I was with if I should or if I should ignore her. She suggested that I put the camera away. I just put the lens cap on at first and that was not good enough for the girl who was yelling at me . She kept yelling at me until I put the camera back in the bag. I did and she stoped yelling.

Although this is an obvious "dont" with the point of Dont walk around a red light district with a big camera in your hands I hope this starts off other people sharing their experiences of what situations they have been in that might prove to be a "dont" in street photography.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Touchy Situations

While I had first the same fears in a red light district, what happened to me what the contrary of yours :
Pink light district but happy to be on the pics

I finally get to the exact opposite conclusion of yours : never sneak, don't try to hide, carry proudly your camera and you'll feel whether this is time and place to shoot.

It's better to be seen and to be told that shooting isn't welcomed, after all everything is clear and what do you have to loose at that, first advice is always for free, rather than be caught the hand in the cookie jar...
Old 11-10-2003, 11:36 PM
TE Expert

I was on the lower level of Penn Station in NY photographing a huge wall mural with my 50mm Canon. A businessman standing at the bottom of the mural approached me (I was around 30 feet away), and asked me to remove my film as he didn't want to be photographed. I told him I was photographing the mural, not him.

Anyway, he then twisted my arm attempting to remove the film and I suggested that we go to the police. The initial officer on the scene had no clue so we went to the police station and explained what happened. The head cop looked at me and asked me whether I wanted to press charges. He said that since this was a public place I had every right to take the photo.

I declined and we both left the station.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:05 AM
TE Newbie

Interesting. I have read that in the UK htere are specific guidelines as to what you can and cant shoot. Although I have a feeling that this really applies to professional settings and movie but here is the link for UK tube photo shooting http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/filmingfaq.asp
Old 11-11-2003, 12:38 AM
TE Senior Member

I had a "dont" experience just last Friday. I wanted to play papparazzi a little and went to take a picture of Cťline Dion's house in Quebec which is about 10 minutes from where I live. There is a fenced gate blocking access to the small island where her mansion is and I took a few shots from some distance, maybe 30 feet away. When I approached to get closer to the gate and shoot directly at the house some distance away from this entrance, I heard a voice on loud speakers saying "this is private property, photos are forbidden". Oups! I didn't know they had security guards even when they are not there, which is most of the time. So I just turned back, but I did succeed in taking a picture of the house from another side where I presume there were no surveillance cameras. I might post a photo of the gate later.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:46 AM

I've been tailed by security police in Australia. Apparently the area near where I took my Sydney panorama was also bordering on the location of governor of Australia's residence - apparently they thought I was paparazzi trying to get in over the fence, whereas in actual fact I didn't even realise he lived anywhere near! They partially accepted that I was a landscape photographer desperately trying to find a good angle for the harbour, didn't stop them from following me around for a while though ;-)
Old 11-11-2003, 02:03 AM
TE Expert

LOL, Adrian, good story ! which magazine would give a cent for Australia's governor anyway...

I don't know whether the laws about photographying apply everywhere the same way.
People tend to think just because they appear on a film they can forbid to shoot pictures or sue and take the film.

With regards to french law that's total BS...
You can shoot pictures of anything providing that you're not shooting from a private or restricted property or maybe (not even sure of that) taking shots of some military zones.
In public space, you can take anything you want as long as you do not put a tripod on the grounds (you need an authorization to shoot with a tripod in Paris), nobody has the right to either forbid you taking a shot or to seize your film.

Private image right applies to publishing and it's really getting a pain in the neck in France where for instance the owner of a boat sued a photographer in the name of ownership rights.

My best advice when you're shooting in the streets : inform and know your rights, don't get upset with people who think they can also handle your own right to shoot pics.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:12 AM
TE Newbie

another touchy situation. 1. I am new to the US and the Dos and Donts I cna say are very very different than Japan. My camera was in the shop and I picked it up today. afterwarrds I went with my cousin to pick up his kids at the day care. Wheil he was inside getting his kids I was outside having a smoke. I had my camera and took it out to see if any dust bunnies had gathered while it was in the shop (my camera is pron to dust bunnies) I point it up at the blue sky and there were a couple in there ok take it home and clean it a bit...

I think within one minute at MOST 2 minutes a woman came out side of the day care and asked "are you a parent of one of the children?" "nope relative on one though" "are you takeing pictures?" "nope just checking to see if my camera is clean" (I really did not take any pictures) The woman goes back inside. I put my camera back in the lowe pro toploader. about a minute later here comes a rent a cop from around the corner and he walks up and asks "are you taking pictures?" "nope I am not" (again yes I was the one with a camera but I wansnt taking pictures and I didnt see any reason to give this guy reason to question me more) "oh... ok" but wait! there is more for your 19.95 value! the rent a cop kinda walks around in circles trying to catch his tail and another security person comes over looks like he actually worked for the day care center. HE says nothing to me but I over hear him talking to the rent a cop. This guy is also looking for this mysterious photographer... I say nothing knowing my cousin will be out in a minute. Indeed he comes out in a minute and as the door opens i hear him talking to someone inside vouging for me saying "dont worry he is with me its ok its cool"

that was about the end of it. we leave and its over....
Just glad I didnt say to my cousin from a distance in a loud voice "Hey can I get my 9mm out of your car and put it in mine?" (no I do not have a 9mm or any other gun)

remember all of this over just pulling out a camera for about 1 to 2 minutes and never releaseing the shutter....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lesson learned. day care centers dont like cameras.

back to killing dust bunnies with that 9 mm... :)
Old 03-10-2004, 06:25 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: almost street photography!

Found myself staying at an intersesting resort for very cheap prices on a Columbian/Caribbean Sea Beach after hiking the Sierra Nevada. The place was empty as it catered to rich Bogatonians and it was not the right season. Great, so I thought. The manager said for me to be discreet as he was not really suppose to allow backpacking hikers to stay at these cheap rates. But I was a woman alone and Santa Marta was a fair ways down the road.

I was only intersted in nursing my well worn heals and exploring the rocky shorelines. The next day on returning from a hike over to the next few beachs there were 6 horses & riders on the resorts beach. They were beautiful and it was like a dream to all of a sudden have these animals in my face while the sun was setting. Out came my camera and within seconds the chase was on. Guns came out and I was told to hand over my camera.

Well my 'fight or flight' insticts came out and I choose flight.
Always wondered what I would do with a gun in my face. The rocks were close and for a few minutes they lost sight of me but caught up and detained. Asked for the camera again and I lied saying I thru it over into the ocean. (I had dropped it down a hole) They laughed and said good and then gave me a ride back to the resort. Allowed me to continue staying at the resort as long as I stayed in my room and sent me room service on them.

The next day the president of Columbia left with his gang back to Bogota. This being the reason why the resort was so empty.
I retrieved my Nikon but months later when I reviwed my mailed home Kodak slides I saw that my flight shots were just one big blurrrr.

Lessons learned; don't assume that public places are public places. Also when I'm really scared I break out in hives. Still have that Nikon though. ;-)
Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 AM
TE Expert

Here is what happen to me lately:

I was in a museum (actually the "Centre George Pompidou"). I was at an architecture exhibit. Then I "stupidly" decided to take some note on my PDA about some of the the stuff I was watching. Then some woman from the museum came to me and tap my shoulder and told me "Hey! you can't take picture in here". Then she saw that I was just writting stuff on my PDA, she get a bit embarrassed for a minute but then get over it and point a finger at me and said "No picture!".

Ah well... ;o)