3rd world travel with a laptop - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-07-2003, 04:22 AM
TE Newbie

Default 3rd world travel with a laptop

I'm heading off to travel the world again. This time I'm going for 2 years. I decided that I need to take a laptop with me. I'll be using it for writing, photo editing, photo archiving and website maintenance. I love UNIX so I'll be buying a used iBook.

Who else travels the 3rd world with a laptop? Any advice for me?

I'm going to miss having a tiny, super-light pack...

Cheers,
-Adam #2
Old 10-07-2003, 01:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: 3rd world travel with a laptop

That I'm interested too.

I've already the Laptop (Toshiba 3110CT) very light and small. The drawback is that it is so small, it doesnt have in built-in periphericals (cd-rom, floppy, ...). They all have to be carried separatly and in a bag it actually takes more room than a bigger laptop with everything built-in. But I had it for free from my brother, I won't complain. I'm going to add an USB CD-rom burner to back-up my files while traveling in case my laptop gets out of order/lost/stolen etc...
I already have five battery packs (those are the heavyest) and I'm gonna get another charger with all types of adapters.
You must know that one of the most common accident that could happen to a computer is to spill some liquid on the keyboard. On a desktop you just need to change you keyboard but on the laptop, there is a good chance that the liquid make its way to the mother board. It happens to me once, I've wasted a perfectly good glass of french wine on a laptop. The only thing you can do then, is to switch-off and un-plug battery and charger right away, dismantle the whole computer, wash it with clear water and dry it thoroughly with an hair dryer (it works for me). So my advice his to pack few screwdrivers and a hair dryer.

I've check your website (Geekeasy) and read about your next travel plan. I'm planning a trip for myself as well and my road will cross yours as I'm planning to travel from Paris to Moscow to takes the trans Siberian to mongolia and then Beijing. I'm planning to leave Moscow in August or September 2004.

Romain
Old 10-07-2003, 01:50 PM
TE Newbie

Pardon me, but what is "3rd" world exactly? Sounds like a different planet to me.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 PM
TE Junior Member

I guess it refers to country wit ha lower economic development than in G8...
Old 10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
TE Newbie

It is a pretty insensitive way of classifying nations, don't you think? Not much different from saying "first, second, or third class citizen" in reference to a person's economic condition and/or social influence.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Potentially insensitive, depending on the context in which it is used. It seems that we are switching to "Developed" and "Developing". I'm not sure how we are going to classify the places that are essentially standing still.

Do you have a good suggestion for describing those places with well established infrastructures, those who are in the process of modernizing, and those who are still fairly primitive in terms of electricity/roads/communication/etc.?

(Realize that whatever terms we use will acquire certain attributes over time that some people will find offensive, just like one can't make the 'No Point Smiley' beautiful.)
Old 10-07-2003, 06:41 PM
TE Senior Member

I haven't done it yet. Just got a four pound sub-notebook (with CD burner) for the next long trip.

I did get a USB trackball mouse that I like a lot and would recommend. It's very small, you wear it on your index or middle finger like a large ring, the 'left button' is actually under your finger and you activate it like pulling a trigger. It's great for sitting back and working. You don't have to hunch over the laptop.

This one's a Fellows FDM-G60. About $25US at Staples. About half the size of a tennis ball.

I would recommend getting a laptop with a burner. I figure that loosing a laptop is more likely than loosing a PHD. I like the idea of keeping backup CDs and mailing some home.

I plan on never taking my laptop out of my bag unless I'm in my room and have the door closed. I'm also thinking about getting one of the small locking bags from www.pac-safe.com and securing the laptop to something sturdy in the room when I'm out and about. It will travel in a shoulder bag when underway, never in my backpack.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
TE Newbie

Bob, when I go to Europe or US, I don't say ... "I'm going to First world nations. See you later." I simply say, I'm off to Europe or US. So my suggestion is, be direct. Say where you will go in reference to *location*, not economic/political/social/ or worse, racial categories.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:38 PM
TE Senior Member

Third world was not originally meant to be an derogatory term. First world is old europe, second world was the Americas. Third world was everything else. It was the order of discovery by Europeans and had nothing to do with first, second, third "class." Indeed, most of the third world had little or no infrastructure until recent years so it became synonymous with "undeveloped" or "developing" countries.

Anyway, the question was asking for tips for traveling with a laptop in countries with a less developed infrastructure in terms of electricity, phone, wide area networks, etc. He was able to say all that just by saying "3rd world" which is pretty much the most succinct way that I know of to say it. No need to take offense and make up connections to class that aren't there. What term do you use to refer to the portion of the world with little or unreliable infrastructure? You can't refer to a location when you are talking about more than one place.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Come on, you could just say "I'm leaving the US" and we'll all understand you're heading out into the savage unknown...