Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM
TE Newbie

Default Unauthorized use of my photo on Hilton Travel Organizers web

A grafic designer contacted me to ask if i had given permission for use of one of my photos on a travel agent's web site. I had not. It seems they stole it from TE. The only way the designer knew or could contact me was from my byline on the bottom of the photo. Something to note.

I think TE members should be aware of this sort of problem, and i think it should be allowed by TE admin to include watermarks on select images depending on the owner's / member's "paranoia".

www.htorganizers.com/tours_japan.htm

Hilton Travel Organizers
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
TE Expert

Default Re:

The fact they didn't remove your copyright from the pict shows that they didn't really want to steal it. They probably asked a 15 years old guy in internship to update their website...

BTW the photos have been removed...
Old 12-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Unauthorized use of photo - Hilton Travel Organizers web

To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely nothing within the TOS of Trekearth to prevent members including watermarks on their images. I would hope most of us would be able to ignore the watermarking when providing critique / comment on an image.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Unauthorized use

Unregistered users should see the watermark Trekearth on all the photos, then outsiders would be more aware to contact the owner asking them the authorization, other sites can do it, I see no reason why TE wouldn't do it at least out of some selfrespect ?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Re:completely nieve

Your comment is not only incorrect but also nieve. The fact is, they did intend to "steal" it for use in thier web site, and the graffic designer did the right thing by contacting me to question it. After i told him i knew nothing about it, he removed it from the web site. Why they didnt remove my name from the foto, i do not know. The G.D. is not 15, but a professional, working for a professional web design / graphic design company. This company almost always uses stock photos from an agency, and my unauthorized photo (from an unknown source) first raised his suspicion.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Unauthorized use of photo - Hilton Travel Organizers web

I believe there is. My photos have been removed by the admin in the past for watermarks.
And i have had some critisism from TE members about including a by-line........(admittedly though, sometimes it was too large a font).
I think all members and the TE admin ought to take a more active / serious rold in protecting photos from unauthorized use. What ever form that may take.....
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default Cheers to that

I agree !.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Stealing is stealing

If a shot is used without permission, it is stealing.

If someone where to use your car without permission, and they leave the license plates on it, are they stealing it?

Yes, I realize that putting anything on the WEB makes it easy to steal, but we must be vigilant in our work's usage. If you (the group someone take my images without getting permission, I will send them a bill. And I have.

Yes, I am a professional photographer.

~V~
Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Stealing is stealing (editted)

"If you (the group someone take my images without getting permission, I will send them a bill."

That should read "If you someone takes my images without getting permission, I will send them a bill."

I guess I should edit more carefully.

~V~
Old 12-13-2007, 12:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Stealing is stealing

I agree 100%. I like the car analogy.
Everyone should be more vigilant.

The attitude in the previous post, "The fact they didn't remove your copyright from the pict shows that they didn't really want to steal it. They probably asked a 15 years old guy in internship to update their website..." is one example of how and why this sort of dishonest intellectual property theft continues unabated.