To pamastro: Did you know the points don't count? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pamastro 2004-04-27 0:59

Very nice. The sky is actually attractive as it is, though I've read some said it was blown out. I think it adds to the surreal look of this scene. It helps makes the silhouettes of the steep sided hills that much stronger. And all the levels of the silhouettes is great. Each hill is clear yet not. The lone man on the water creates a nice wake and point of scale. And it leads us back into the path of water under the bridge. It seems to be soft on the focus since it is sharpened but that's probably another result of the hazy conditions. Nicely composed, though. You made good results despite the conditions and as I said may have even added to the view. Good job.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:37 AM
TE Newbie

Default To pamastro: Did you know the points don't count?

Hi Paul,

Glad you like the shot.
You have a (c) after your post which means that you were in comment mode, not critique mode. Did you know that if you click on "comment" instead of "critique" that the points you give don't get counted? I have seen comments posted without points, but your post included a two point smilie, so I assume you intended to give points.

If you did not intend to give points, then no problem; if you intend to give two points to a shot then you must click critique, and NOT comment. This can be changed by editing the original post. I wish the difference between critiques and comments were more clear. I think comments are there because we can only give 15 critiques per day with points.

Hope this doesn't seem like I'm begging for points, but I didn't know the difference between the two modes, and thought I'd tell you too. Thanks.

Ian
Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pamastro: Did you know the points don't count?

Hi Ian

Thanks. I meant it as a comment. I had wanted to write more but it was getting late. Since I didn't write that much I figured it was more of a comment but left the smiley anyway. I agree, it seems rather ambiguous sometimes. It took me a some time to figure out what was going on with comments and critiques, too.

I keep meaning to get back to that photo so I can write more because it really is beautiful and then I'll change it to a critique. But I overran my points again, tonight! It's on the top of my list for tomorrow!

Paul
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I wish the site was set up so that comments can't go with smilies; less confusion.

Ah yes, running out of points; lots of good shots on the site! Perhaps the simplest thing to do is post a critique with zero points, followed by a statement like, "points later" or "out of points today". Then the photographer isn't puzzling out why their apparent point total doesn't tally with the points awarded.

I do understand putting a limit on the amount of points we can give each day. I'm not sure I see any reason for distinguishing between a critique without points and a comment.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:02 AM
TE Newbie

The points are not a great representation of the value of a photo anyway, if you have a portfolio of one or two average shots only but spend hours on here critiquing you will get loads of critiques and points in return. Nothing wrong there at all, just don't make comparisons or get hung up on points, here points don't make prizes! There are great shots here with a couple of points only, and poor shots with dozens. So I agree the points don't count!
Ian