Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

Default "rules of composition" for a photo

Hi all, I'd like to learn more about this, as I never know when my photos are well or badly composed (lines, light etc) !

Is there any website explaining this, with examples, not words ? Sorry for this very naive question, but I am really interested and would like to improve !

Do some of us know this by instinct ? Then I'm sorry, I must admit that I don't !
Many thanks in advance for your answers,
C.

(NB : as a comparison : I have a friend who is part of a choir, has been for years and still don't know when she is out of tune - it's a big choir, so her voice is drowned in it - whereas I think that most of us know when a note does not ring OK, isnt' it ?)
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: "rules of composition" for a photo

Bonsoir
Ceci pourrait t'aider peut-être ?
http://www.photada.com/Composition-Regles-Photo.htm
Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: merci, Didi !

Déjà, j'ai appris certains choses grâce à ton lien - mais je suis plutôt instinctive, ne réfléchissant pas trop en photographiant, il va falloir que je réfléchisse chaque fois !

Amitiés

(Hoping that other links will follow but this one is already useful - and I'll google too !)
Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: voici un autre

Au début on réfléchit mais à force cela devient instinctif.

Ce site est meilleur.
http://www.megapixel.net/html/articles-f.php
Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

Catherine, comme j'ai pu le dire à d'autres collègues de TE, tu as un "regard"... c'est ta vraie richesse plus que les règle qui ne valent souvent que pour être contournées... A postériori, il y aura toujours beaucoup de photographes pour te dire pour quelles raisons ta photo est ceci et cela... mais aucun ne pourra te dire pour quelle raison tu as eu tant de plaisir à prendre cette photo, et pour quelle raison tu as envie de la partager ! Et le plaisir est lui du domaine de l'irrationnel ! Une règle parmi les plus importante... quand tu as envie de prendre une photo prends-la... après tu peux te donner le luxe de réfléchir et de la reprendre différemment... avec le numérique, pas de problèmes !
Autre chose ! "Gave" tes yeux de photos... sur TE... dans les revues... dans les bouquins... si ton regard est "fort" comme je le pense, il ne pourra que s'enrichir... à condition de les regarder toutes, les bonnes comme les moins bonnes !
Je peux te conseiller deux livres, parmi bien d'autres, deux ouvrages de Michael Freeman, l'un "L'image" parle de la composition, l'autre "La couleur" parle de... la couleur !
Bon courage à toi !!
Amitiés, alain
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
TE Expert

Merci Alain (et merci aussi Didi),

Bien sûr qu'il faut d'abord prendre plaisir en photographiant, mais j'aimerais étudier un peu les règles pour pouvoir par après les transgresser ! En ce moment, je me sens vraiment trop innocente, surtout quant à ces histoires de lignes et courbes... Enfin, parmi les prochaines photos que je mettrai ici (de mon récent voyage au Maroc), il y en aura inévitablement quelques unes qui ne vaudront rien du tout au point de vue "canonique", ça m'embarrasse un peu mais je ne m'en priverai pas moins ! Juste un peu peur du ridicule...

A bientôt,
Amitiés,
Cath.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

http://www.clubic.com/article-23131-1-de-l-art-de-composer-ses-photographies.html

Pas de problèmes ! Ci-dessus, la première adresse touvée en lançant une recherche sur Google, avec les deux mots suivants : photographie et composition...
Et il y en a plein d'autre derrière...
Mais le Freeman... très bien !
Bonne journée à toi !
Amitiés, alain
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
TE Senior Member

Hello,

there might be some "rules", but I think the best way is still following your own "instinct". When you want to shoot something, or you just see immediatelly the way you want to shoot it, or you take a look around where is the best place to put yourself to take the shot.
You don't have to read books or so to know the most substantial things for taking a photo : what is not bright, clear etc. with your eyes, mostly it will not be good in a photo too. If you want to jump out with a certain photo, take a shot of something more or less "special", not the common holiday snapshots of a beach, a hotel, streets etc... If you are on holiday, take a walk, look around and if you see something from what you can say "wow !", take some shots.
Not to proclaim I am a "good" photographer, but that way I take my shots and for example I already held a photo-expo with succes, I already sold several pictures. Some people asked me if I studied photography, I said no, they were surprised.
Maybe it's a gift, a talent, who knows...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned

J'oubliais, Catherine, le plaisir est quelque chose de très... sérieux !
Amitiés, alain
Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
TE Junior Member

"Rules are for the obeyance of fools and the guidance of wise men".

If you want to read about the so-called rules, put "Photographic Composition" and "Rule of Thirds" into Google and see what pops up.

There's lots of information and well-intentioned guidance on how to make the perfect composition. However, if everyone adhered slavishly to it, it would probably make for a very predictable portfolio of photos.

Professionals and better amateurs differentiate themselves by making their statement (whatever point it may be that they're making) by using a different perspective and style. This is a more challenging approach and will probably not be popular with traditionalists.

If it looks right, then it is right. Experiment. Try things; some will work, some won't. This site costs nothing to join and offers no financial inducement to stay. Therefore, it's the ideal place to make your mark (within the site TOS, of course) and see what the members think.

That said, although much of the advice you'll get will be valid and worth listening to, don't be afraid to strike out alone. All you can do is do your own thing and be prepared to learn.