To macjake: Columbus Circle - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2020-03-08 15:06

Hi Brenda
I have many thoughts going through my head with this shot.
1st....I thought it was a duplicate photo of my NYC post taken at that mall, which i recently posted - but that was at a quick glance as clearly its not. 2nd - its a beautiful view, especially with the sprinkling of snow and the bright blue lighting, and most of all I love the entire set up with the checkered glass pattern. 3rd - Don't get me started on Christopher Columbus! Like many explorers of his time, he was a menace to society - yet many places all around North America put up statues of the man. He's responsible for raping women, killing locals if they didn't agree to his terms, took many locals back to Europe as slaves...it goes on and on. But of course most History books leave all that info OUT, yet focus on his exploring of the new world by crossing the possibly FLAT earth (still in debate at the time) and how dangerous of a mission it was, yet he pulled it all off becoming a Hero. I read his books, I read his notes from sailing, (all available on amazon haha), he goes into great detail about the locals of the new world and how uneducated they are, poor they are, etc etc...I can go on and on. Sorry for the rant Brenda...these famous explorers of the past have such bad behaviours, yet most people aren't aware of them. you got me going! haha
cheers
Craig

Old 03-08-2020, 10:22 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To macjake: Columbus Circle

Hello Craig,

Your last NYC photo was taken downtown at Brookfield Place, but this photo was taken near the Upper West Side. The shopping complex in my photo is located a few blocks from Lincoln Center. Obviously both shopping centers have a similar, large window.

Yes, Columbus is a controversial figure. There have been continuing arguments here in NYC to remove this monument, and even change the Columbus Day holiday to honor Native Americans and not Christopher Columbus. Italian-American groups fought back against that. The subject will probably come up again the near future...

I hope all is well. Cheers!
Brenda