TE connectivity: Can it get any worse? - Page 5 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Can it get any worse? / questions@trekearth.com

Yep, it does get worse. Also the "one upload per 24 hours" tracker seems to have gone haywire. Mine inexplicably jumped from "within 2 hours" to "within 23 hours"...or was my latest picture that bad!?

I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to servers, but the service of this serves sure is lacking...but what to do??? I don't want to go to other sites...but it really can't continue like this.

Funny how the forum still seems to work well...

Benny
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Can it get any worse? / questions@trekearth.com

It's not just you, Benny. The "you may load in 1 hour" suddenly changed to 23 hours.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TE connectivity: Can it get any worse?

The system sucks and interbrand can't change anything about it as they don't own the site, a poisoned investment, data handling will strangle any processors even more in future coping with all external added publicity, not to show when logged in and calculations of points for each member joining, growing by the day, unless they are allowed to change the system, it is a sinking ship to waste your time on for you to enjoy ....
Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Maybe this address is a better target for your complaints:

justine.cogan@internetbrands.com

Justine is Online Community Manager, Travel & Leisure, Internet Brands.

May suggest you donít mention my nameÖ

Greetings,
Pablo -
Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
TE Expert

Thank you Pablo : I've just written to questions@trekearth.com, also to Adam, now I'll forward the same mail to this last address (without mentioning your name of course)...

But if internetbrands does not own the site as oochappan is telling, then who else is ?

Still impossible for me to download a photo or to rate anyone's but I see that some of us can still do all this ;
OTOH, the site seems a bit less paralysed than this morning.
Have to go now,

Greetings,
Cath.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
TE Senior Member

Ah, mighty Iccarus...
whose waxen flight,
leaves much to be desired.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
TE Expert

Default Stay or leave...

Yes... I had already noticed that apparently there is nothing wrong with the other sites owned by Internet Brands. I have checked Netcraft and found that apparently they made software (hardware also?) changes between late August and earlier September (which is consistent with the lowering of problems frequency) and also the day before yesterday. I *want* to believe that they are doing the best they can to find and solve the problems.

I confess if I knew any site that offers much the same things I find here, I would have already considered seriously the possibility of abandoning TE, although it would still be a difficult decision because in the course of the 2 years I spent here I did some real friendships and a habit of maintaining dialogues not only strictly about photography, so it is very sad, even painful, to leave that behind. It's like frequenting a real nice bar or cafe for years and suddenly leave. The fact is that, taking this metaphor, I start getting annoyed that it takes ages to serve us a coffee, sometimes they are closed, often they haven't the favourite beer of many of their customers...

I don't consider myself superstitious, but I am not that comfortable writing this, as talking about the eventuality of leaving TE is a bit like recognising finally that it's something that I have to be prepared to happen because signs are really worrying and can't be ignored anymore.

I really don't know much about business, if I knew I guess I would probably be much wealthier, sadly for my purse, maybe happily for my brains, I have always been on the side of those who "do" and the side of those who "manage" or "sell" never fascinated me, but when I see the quantity of companies that are apparently very successful money wise in maintaining free sites that are much less known and less unique than TE, I would expect that TE would be capable of attracting enough money from advertising to keep the service running. Anyway, if that isn't true, I think we all deserve at least a chance, like testing a paid service for some time.

If this was happening some years ago, when I had much more free time, perhaps I was already building an alternative to TE to be prepared to the event that things go even worse... :D

On the optimist side, let's wait and see and hope things get better. You can also see the problems as a way to spend too much time here. Go see and PP your own photos when TE is down!

On the pessimist side, maybe it's a good idea that we share our long therm emails to avoid loosing contact if the worst occurs. Maybe creating a mailing list wouldn't be a bad idea.

Take care,
Josť.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Stay or leave...

it sure feels as if the TE server cannot handle volume. TL and TN run on the same servers presumably, have 1/3 and less of the TE population and run pretty smoothly...

On a different note, besides the persistent connectivity problems what we are experiencing today (9/24/2008), does anyone else see that their critique pointing ability has been removed? It seems, I cannot assign points to my critiques today even though I have not written any yet.

Kristaps
Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
TE Expert

The same has happend to me today, Kristaps. A little later, I was able to give points again. Stange, very strange.

Philippe
Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
TE Expert

yup, it seems my point-giving ability is back now