Free Tibet - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default Free Tibet

Adam, is there a chance of having tibet appear as a country by itself? (you know, as a statement - its already been deleted from few Atlases and is now reffered to as 'China').
Old 04-27-2003, 04:35 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Free Tibet

I disagree. Tibet as it once exists does so no longer. Amdo, Kham and Lhasa now appear in five different or six, provinces of China. Which one or ones would you call Tibet? Probably only TAR, right? Well, that's silly cause MOST of the Tibetans in the world live outside the TAR, either in other parts of China, in India or in the west, particularly in the US and England.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:44 AM
TE Newbie

well, I disagree with your disagreement. I think the only reason tibetans dont get that much public opinion (like palestenian do for example) is that they choose non violent way to express themselves - and I dont think they could have protested at all if they were inside tibet.
most of them flee the area to live without fear of being killed by the goverment.

now, if you check world maps you will see that many publishers consider palestine for example as a different country than israel, simply because they feel its just. and trust me, the tibetans have a case at least as strong as palestinian have, if not more. they just dont go and blow up ppl to prove it.
I say - amdo, Kham, and every other province that used to be tibet prior to 59 should be (as an act of disagreement with red china and what they do there) considered as Tibet.
of course there is no rule. so its up to each indevidual to decide if he accepts china's claim over Tibet or not.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:32 AM
TE Expert

"is there a chance of having tibet appear as a country by itself?"

Since Tibet is currently part of China, I am going to leave it as a province of China. In the future if circumstances change, I will add Tibet as a separate country.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:51 AM
TE Newbie

Mongolia is also part of China and for that matter -according to China - so is Taiwan and there sections here for both. Does this mean we have to go by what China says is so?
The Chinese have committed the second holocaust during the second half of the century against the Tibetans and because, as someone else has said, they are too passive and weak to defend themselves and the west is too afarid of war with China, these people and their culture have been left to die and disappear from the earth forever.

-Over a million Tibetans have been jailed, tortured and murdered including nuns, monks, women and children.
-Many Buddhist leaders have languished in prisions for decades or died being tortured.
-Several million Han Chinese have been resettled in Tibet to help establish a dominant Chinese population balance and culture.
-Hazzardous waste is being shipped to the Tibetan frontier threatening pristine wilderness and endangerd species.
-Tiebtan refugees are forced to flee in India and around the world to live in peace.
-Tibetans are 'encouraged' to use the Chinese language only for business and children are not allowed to learn their own language, history or culture in schools.

You get the idea. It's what Hitler wanted for Europe, only no one's lifting a finger this time.

I think it's very sad if we can't at least have a section to post pictures of what's left of their culture and to draw attention to their plight.
In the meantime, I'll keep posting my images of "Tibet" somewhere else where the murder of Tibetans and their whole culture isn't ignored.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:53 AM
TE Newbie

www.savetibet.org
Old 01-14-2004, 02:20 PM

What is the official position of the United Nations over this matter? Does it or not reconize the anexation of Tibet by China?

This is the way I think TE should act. I undestand what's happening in Tibet and can't agree at all with the actions of China (Portugal also had a recent issue with Indonesia regarding Timor-Lorosae) but TE should be left apart of political issues, at least in the organization of the site.

Here exist many sensibilities and the site should not be a flag for fights, but to opinion exchange. This is also a way of fight...

In the photo notes each may write their oppinion, and claim some values (allways in a diplomatical way).

Just my oppinion.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 PM

From previous posts, I understand that Adam works from the UN list of recognised nations. There was a question over Myanmar and its alternative name a little while ago.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Judging from this UN list of "territories" <a href="http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/english/geoname.pdf" target=_blank>http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/english/geoname.pdf</a> and this UN map <a href="http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/other/world00.pdf" target=_blank>http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/other/world00.pdf</a> the UN does not recognize Tibet as a sovereign nation.

Actually if anything should change on TE, probably Taiwan should be included under China. Taiwan has not officially declared independence from China. And that would be consistent with the UN view.

I agree that TE should not get involved with political disputes and should set world boundaries as they are, not as they "should be."
Old 01-14-2004, 06:23 PM

Thanks Mike for the information.

I think as human beings that we have the duty to alert all others to injustices that are comitted, being a homeless person in a big city of a rich country, or persecuted cultures. That, I think is even in the TE spirit, wich is a humanist site.

But, that should come with the photos and notes of a photgrapher, and exposed in a carefull way because there are many truths, not just one.
Closed Thread