To holmertz: Ishtar Gate - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-03-19 1:24

Hello Chris,
This is a masterpiece of very ancient art, captured here with superb colours. It seems reasonable to think this should have been reconstructed in Iraq rather than Berlin, but then it may not have survived the bombings in recent years. The WS explains the setting.
Regards,
Gert

Old 03-19-2020, 09:27 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Ishtar Gate

Hi Gert

Although the Iraq Museum in Baghdad was thankfully never bombed, it was looted in 2003, and only some of the irreplaceable archaeological treasures were ever returned. "The chaos following war has provided the opportunity to pillage everything that is not nailed down. The period between April 8, 2003, when the staff vacated National Museum of Iraq and April 16, 2003, when US forces arrived in sufficient numbers to "restore some semblance of order." Some 15,000 cultural artifacts disappeared in that time. Over the years approximately 14,800 were recovered from within and outside Iraq and taken under the protection of the Iraqi government." Islamic State came very close to taking Baghdad in 2014, and it would have been a repeat of the madness of Mosul Museum with everything being deliberately smashed into a million pieces. So I concur that for the moment, the Babylonian Gate and quite a few relics and statues I saw there too are far safer in Berlin. The design of the Iraq Museum is surprisingly similar to the Ishtar Gate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...useum_Iraq.jpg