Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-30-2018, 04:01 PM
TE Newbie

Hello, can you walk me through the process of creating a location? Also, I think beta and the main site use different database and I'm not sure they can sync.

Please advise. Thanks, Brendan
Old 08-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Brendan, are you trying to create a location on the main or Beta site?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 PM

Hello Joel, hello Brendan,
I can add or change any locations on the main site, no problems... I already added the location asked by Mariusz.

Amicalement,
viviane
Old 08-31-2018, 05:19 PM
TE Expert

Porteplume can create new locations I suppose because she is a moderator, but I cannot not on main and not on the beta site.
To clarify: I use both sites because both some advantages and disadvantages.
For uploading photos, filling the meta data including locations I use the main site and creating new location does not work there. I use beta Trek Earth for watching photos due to bigger size and better quality, for checking number of points, and for writing comments since for example beta site displays page numbers both on top and at the bottom of page while main site only at the bottom which is annoying: if I want to know what page I am on on the main TE I need to scroll down to the bottom.

Regarding the location selection:
The country, one has to declare at the upload which is annoying because you cannot change it later if you made a mistake. County (not country) must be selected from drop-down menu, further an additional location can be selected from an existing list or in the past you could create a new one by typing it in. Of course the problem with the last one is that people make so many mistakes and they misspell names or there are names of London in French or Spanish, Londres etc but nevertheless it is there...

There are extra problems with the locations because for example USA, you choose state and then you can select a town, while in smaller countries you can select counties. For example for Greece if you select county it will be e.g. Dodecanissons so then you can choose the island like Kos meaning you cannot select town. For Kos it does not matter but for bigger islands which actually have towns it creates extra confusion because some people place photos under the name of an island like Santorini or Thira while other under a town Oia or something. Also most countries have some major cities selected which appear on the country map with a blue dot. This is quite random, not related to size or being famous. Also when you have Berlin county: it shows Berlin as a blue dot as well, but if you have Hamburg county the dot for the city is not displayed. I am not sure if it is entirely clear for people who don't use the website.

Nevertheless the system of maps and locations is quite extraordinary. There is no other place which would have county maps with such level of detail. Ironically many users I talked to are not even aware of it... Sadly the main world map is tiny and not readable except for bigger countries. But there are further funny issues with maps for example when you visit a county which has a long name the country map gets trimmed. There is also an option of hovering over county name -which displays the contours of the county but since the map of the country is fixed on top of the page -when you visit more counties than fit on one page and you scroll down -you don't see the map anymore. Also the reverse option would be nice (hovering over the map to get the name of the county highlighted).
The world map could be interactive like that as well.
Please note that sometimes I use word COUNTRY and sometimes COUNTY.

Anyway these are some of the ideas how to make it more interactive but I know nobody is interesting in improving it -merely to keep it as is, and even that seems to be quite challenging. It is definitely of of the reasons so many people left.

M
Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 PM
TE Newbie

Hello, can you explain the points? Maybe a screen capture?

Also, when you say the quality of photos is better on beta, what is needed? Bigger physical size? less compression?

I will try to work on some of these things so you don't have to go to two sites.

Best, Brendan
Old 08-31-2018, 08:35 PM
TE Expert

Hi Brendan,
I don't plan to upload anything today but I will try to make the screenshots next time I upload a photo.

Regarding the quality of photos:
on the beta there was a limit of 800px and the size limit was 300kb or something like it.
But the main point was that beta displayed real size photos. Now after the change of the limit it is still true:
beta display photos exactly as user defines them while main site decreases size to something about 790px.
Decreasing the size changes dramatically quality of the image. Those people who were able in the past (beta times) to upload the best photos used a trick: after decreasing the size -photo needed to be re-sharpened again.
Now: if you prepare photo at 800 px what you actually see vary depending on the browser. Some browsers display photos better other worse. Beta still display photos as the user sets them regardless of the browser. But the reason for worse quality is that with current setting at the main site: the photos are being decreased to 790 or so and not resharpened. The only solution is what some people do is to make a huge photos of high quality then the effect of decrease is less pronounced. However one of the concerns on the site is that the people can easily steal photos because they are not protected from being downloaded and indeed many members see their photos being sold elsewhere. I have seen myself my photo used commercially without my knowledge. So smaller size in a way is beneficial because it prevents photo from being stolen.
I don't mind making them a bit bigger but not original which can be printed as posters.
So if you were reading some notes under photos: people either: recommend using beta to see bigger and sharper photo (original) or they upload large size to compensate for the size decrease in the main site.
To see a difference you can go over a photo in main site and right click and select view photo: this is identical to what beta site displays.
In a way main site is easier you put whatever size you want and it makes a standard size photo. But for people who care about a quality it is a disaster since you have no control over the quality of the photo at all.

I don't know enough about the website writing to explain how the display of photos in beta is differently set than the main site but it surely is.
If we knew the actual size which the photos are decreased to, we could prepare the identical size but we have discovered that it is not as previously 800px but something a tiny bit below. So many of the older photos which were uploaded at 800px now appear not sharp.

Someone would need to look into the settings -how the size is being handled, what is actually displayed, if it differs for various browsers and what are the values and let us know.
There is also a probablilty that the algorithm which the website is using for decreasing the size handles 800px and transforms them even to same 800px but the transformation itself decreases the quality.
Either way the source photo stored on the website stays perfect since by right clicking and viewing it it looks good but the website setting must change it somehow...
I have to go...

M
Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 PM
TE Newbie

Hello, the 800px images were being forced to 790px wide. I have adjusted the template a bit which will hopefully prevent this.

Also, the image quality is set for less compression.

Let me know if any of the above helps.
Thanks, Brendan
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 PM
TE Expert

I think it certainly helped to improve the quality of older photos which I submitted at 800px. They seem to be identical to originals.
The newer which I tend to submit at 1000px are still a bit less sharp than originals I think but may be it is just because they are smaller so they loose some resolution.
May be if I submit the next photo at 800px I will be able to judge.
I think there is some improvement though. We need to check it with others I will let them know.
I appreciate your effort,
M
Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 PM
TE Expert

I asked Craig, Paul and Malgo for feedback.
I see there are now two empty fields above photos opening from main site. As if spaces for ads but always empty.
Is it the consequence of your changes?
M
Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Administrator

M, those are places for ads on the rest of the site, but we try to minimize ads on photo pages (because they may already contain larger amounts of data).