Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Energysavingelk 2017-12-04 12:37

Hi Andrew, I have been there recently, with my hotel on the easter side. The scenery has changed completely, there are several museums showing exhibits of the infamous 28 years in which Germany was divided by the wall and the iron curtain. Extras in U.S. uniforms selling themselves for a selfie with the tourists. And the subway stations on the eastern side aren't barred ghost stations anymore.
Revisit Berlin! The city is an adventure!

Sven

Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 PM

Default To Energysavingelk: Thanks!

Thanks, Sven, for your interesting comments and delving back into my TE archive of old photos to find this one. Funny you should bring up Berlin, because I was thinking about Checkpoint Charlie last night, after reading the first chapter of 'The Spy Who Came in from the Cold' by John le Carre. I have also just been watching a film version of the book 'Babylon in Berlin' by Volker Kutscher. I read the book last year; it's a crime noir novel set in Berlin in 1929. So, you see Berlin is at the forefront of my mind at the moment! I should take your advice to revisit the city.
Regards,
Andrew