Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 03:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Wink Image Removal

A few years back, a TE member started encouraging others to leave TE because of image removal. He stated it was unfair, etc. He mounted a propaganda campaign against TrekEarth for removing photographs of flower closeups.
As a result a small group left TE in protest.
What I found to be very interesting, is the instigator of the anti TE propaganda had created his own internet photography posting website, plus it requires an annual membership fee.

No one is perfect, but I at least appreciate TE is free....

Sincerely,
Photoray (Ray Anderson)
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
TE Expert

Default Easter in Breclav

Hi Keith

I had an image removed a few hours ago and have not received any email advice nor is there any spam or junk mail it might have slipped through.

I sent Vivian an email requesting reinstatement of the image as it discusses the custom of men and boys whipping women and girls last Easter Monday and receiving gifts from them. I had never heard of this practice before so it is certainly NOT common. How is this not learning about our world? Most of the accompanying note was in my own words, not a cut and paste from Wikipedia like this:

"In the Czech Republic and Slovakia, a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, men spank women with a special handmade whip called a pomlŠzka (in Czech) or korbŠč (in Slovak), in eastern regions of former Czechoslovakia Moravia and Slovakia they also throw cold water on them. The pomlŠzka/korbŠč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a meter to two meters long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking may be painful, but it's not intended to cause suffering. A legend says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health, beauty and fertility during the whole next year.

An additional purpose can be for men to exhibit their attraction to women; unvisited women can even feel offended. Traditionally, the spanked woman gives a coloured egg (kraslica) prepared by themselves, invites to eat and drink as a sign of her thanks to the man. If the visitor is a small boy, he is usually provided with sweets, and a small amount of money."

Last edited by ChrisJ; 04-19-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM
TE Newbie

Thumbs down Political censorship at TE?

The day before yesterday, TE friend Erhan Eken (erhan1958) of Ankara, Turkey, posted an image of the Srebrenica memorial and graveyard in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre, Bosnia. Both image and commentary were definitely free of hatred or aversion against any nation. I took the freedom to write a decent critique. Ten minutes later, Erhan's photo had been removed.
The Srebrenica massacre of July 11th, 1995, was classified as an attempt of genocide by the United Nations, and several responsible people have been sentenced by the International Court of Justice at The Hague, Netherlands. This shows that there cannot be any discussion on this event. If is is in accordance with TE rules to post images of the Nazi extermination camp at Oswiecim, Poland - which has been done - it is also legal to remind of other genocide events.
Erhan Eken has asssured me that he did not remove his photo, and he feels angry about what has happened.
As for myself, I classify this as an act of political censorship which should not have happened.

Regards from Germany
Sven-Erich Czernik (Energysavingelk)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Hi Sven-Erich,

Absolutely no political act here...
I have checked the latest deactivated photos and found Erhan's one. I think the deactivation is due to the "missing title" - all the photos without a proper title or note are removed but I think Erhan has got a mail mentioning the reason of removing - Missing Title - and he can send a Review Request and give a title to his photo. As soon as we get this I'll re activate the photo and add a proper title...

Friendly greeting,

Viviane
Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 AM
TE Newbie

Smile Hi this is just a test, please ignore

Hi sorry for this comment 'This is a test', just "ignore please"

Old 12-02-2016, 06:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Angry Removing of photos.

One of my photos of flowers have been removed for the second and third time. I cant really understand why. Is anybody offended by this photo ??
Now I have to decide if I should remove the rest of the photos too and erease my profile.

Keshav Nrugham
Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 PM

Hello Keshavn

About your photo of lilies -

You could read the Terms of Service, which you can find here:
http://www.trekearth.com/terms.php

You will see that the TOS includes the following point:

As the purpose of TrekEarth is to learn about the world through photography...
shots of common objects (like closeups of any flowers or plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc.) tend not teach us anything without a suitable note, so unless there's a suitable note they will be deactivated at the discretion of site moderators. If you wish to post these types of image please consider using our sister site TrekLens.

Your photo is considered to be a close-up of flowers without a suitable note. That is why it has been removed.

I hope that explains things to you.

Regards,
Andrew
TE Moderator
Old 12-16-2016, 03:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Angry Removed photo

One of my photos Water lily was remooved 2 december. I sendt comments 3 times but nothing is happening. And I am not posting anymore before I get an answer.
Keshav
Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 AM

Hello Keshav.

I have already explained the reason for the removal of your water lily photo - read my comment above yours.

We don't allow close-ups of flowers unless they have informative notes about the flowers or their surroundings. Your note said: My second water lily photo from Chinmaya ashram in Kerala.
That is not an informative note.

Please read the Terms of Service carefully.

Regards,
Andrew (Moderator)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 AM
TE Expert

Default removals

Few days ago I had an image removed from my gallery, it was a view of greek ruins. the image disappeared and I didn't received any information about. at same time some notes I wrote and even titles and names of towns are disappearing from my page. what is occurring?

take care

Jorge