Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default Posting an image

Hi,

I need help.

I've been trying to upload a couple of pictures but to no avail. The 6 x 4.5 cm transparencies have been scanned at a resolution of 600 dpi and saved as .jpg. The high resolution has obviously created large files which may be the issue. But I'm concerned about reducing the resolution and losing definition.

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance.

Jean-François Guignard
Old 09-09-2004, 05:46 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Posting an image

Your file has to be no larger than 800 pixels and no heavier than 200Ko. If you did nothing to your file after scanning, their size (if I calculated right) must be about 9000 x 6800 pixels, which is more than 10 times too large.
You need to find a way to reduce your files to 800 pixels or less. Don't bother with dpi *once the scan is done*, only size (in pixels) matters (yes, it does! :^)
With such a size in pixels, 200 Ko are very often enough to have still a decent definition on your picture, you can keep the compression very low and still be under 200Ko.

TE members will be helpful in directing you to free and efficient image processing software, just ask if you need. Isn't there one that work with your scanner?

Good luck.

Sophie
Old 09-09-2004, 06:21 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for your reply. The transparencies were scanned by a professional lab near where I live. I don't have a scanner yet.

Once digitalized, I work on my images in Photoshop on a Mac. I tend to do minimal retouching since I like to keep my photographs as original as possible (frame, color warmth...).

Photoshop gives me the option of reducing image size. But before I went through the trouble of doing so, I wanted to make sure size was the real issue.

How did you work out the image size?

Thanks,

Jean-François
Old 09-09-2004, 06:28 PM
TE Expert

> Photoshop gives me the option of reducing image size.
>But before I went through the trouble of doing so,
>I wanted to make sure size was the real issue.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

The maximum requirement for image size appear when you click on the "Upload" button in your profile, on a little box in the middle of the screen, you shouldn't miss it (800 px max, 250 px min, 200Ko max). I thought it was also mentionned in the FAQ somewhere, but I can't find it.

Once you have changed your image size in Photoshop, and are happy with what the image look like, choose "save for web" (or "save as a web image", or something that look like that, I have PS in French and I don't know the exact terms in English) and optimize for 200Ko.

Hope this helps.

Sophie
Sophie
Old 09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
TE Newbie

Merci beaucoup Sophie. Je suivrai vos conseils et j'espère pouvoir rapidement mettre quelques-unes de mes photos sur le site.

Je suis allé sur votre site et bien que je sois un terrien (déraciné mais néanmoins jardinier) j'ai beaucoup apprécié vos marines.

A bientôt,

Jean-François