To kbr61263: Comments on comments! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kbr61263 2011-05-16 0:03

A very impressive scene, and the darkness makes it mysterious, but for me the majority of the foreground is much too dark. If you simply lightened the whole image you may lose some sky detail but its not a particularly great sky, so it might be bettre, but by brighing up the dark tones, or even HDR you could greatly improve it I feel. The road shows through, which is a good point and helps to define the depth

Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM
TE Newbie

Default To kbr61263: Comments on comments!

Good morning Keith,

The road that you refer to is actually a river, named Voidomatis, which by the way is the coldest river in Europe, 8-9° C all over the year.

The lighting conditions of the photo are the real ones, and I did not like to change them. By the way, I am not sure if HDR can offer aesthetically to any photo, at least I am not convinced yet.

Warm regards,
Michael
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default lighting

I agree with your principle, in some ways, but then, we do not always have the perfect lighting conditions, so perhaps in a dark room we will use a flash, or in a bright place we will change the ISO, so then to raise the contrast on a very dark area of a picture and make the picture more pleasing can be a useful thing. HDR can produce some monstrosoties, and its perhaps a different kind of photography. For me on TE you often see pictures which have been so adjusted that the original colour, for example is almost entirely lost, and yet they seem to attract high points.. I have used HDR to achieve particular effects, and on occasions its will be very obvious that it has been used, but on other occasions perhaps it may be more subtle. Myabe I will have look at a workshop with your gorge a little later, and we can discuss it some more