To chandrapranil: The trek - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great chandrapranil 2010-10-22 4:53

Hi Matthew,

This is a wonderful photo. I have been through this tunnel previously but you have provided us with a unique perspective.

I love how your slow exposure has made us feel like we are literally moving through the tunnel which are helped by your leading lines.

On another note you will absolutely LOVE Everest base camp. I have done it - I went with Intrepid travel and to date it has been the most amazing experience of my life. My main advise to you would be to ensure you take your SLR I made the mistake of not taking one - you will capture some very special moments and I look forward to seeing them on here.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the trip I am happy to share my experiences and offer my advice if required.

Regards,
Pranil

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To chandrapranil: The trek

Hi Pranil,

I'm glad to see that this trip to base camp left a lasting impression on you. I hope to get the same value out of it. I have purchased my new SLR especially to take to Nepal, and hope to make the very most of it. I have 3 questions for you if you don't mind, did you have any problems with the altitude up there, what time of year did you go, and how was the weather?

Thanks for your comment!

Matt
Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM
TE Newbie

Smile Altitude and Weather

Hi Matt,

Altitude sickness will always take its toll on someone who is not used to it. I got headaches while trekking but never as bad as the one I got on the day we reached base camp - very difficult to deal with. But I think this was slightly my fault. I walked too quickly on this day for some reason and the altitude hit me while the rest of my group had no problems on this day.

So my advise to you would be to pace yourself - its not a race. I was by far the fittest in my group and I was the last one up there on the final day due to the headache - Also take altitude sickness tablet. I started taking them the day before the trek and continued taking one tablet a day until we started descending at this point you dont need them - there were few people who decided not to take these tablets and they were the ones that got sick and had bad headaches often.

I went in January and this is their peak winter so the nights got really cold and uncomfortable at times - as long as you have good sleeping bags you will be fine. For additional comfort we heated up our Kathmandu water bottles at night and put it inside our sleeping bags to keep a little warmer, worked a charm.

During the day you wont have any issues - the weather was absolutely beautiful, particularly while you are walking it gets warm.

I hope this helps.

Pranil
Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Cool The trek

Thanks Pranil,

That is great information and really confirms a lot of my thoughts. We are well prepared with medication, clothing and footwear. All that's left is to enjoy the surrounds and take some good photos. It's good to talk to someone who has experienced it first-hand. I'll take it slow, it's safer and you get to soak up more of the views. Thanks!

Matt