Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Terrain alternative in map view?

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. Or you didn't notice the map feature yet. Below each photo, at right side (in present version), beside the note, there is the Photo Information box, with several info, including one line that is:
Map: view.
If you click view there's open a window with a map location of the photo, if you provide the geographic coordinates when you upload the photo.
For example, in my <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1132609.htm" target=_blank>today's photo</a>, if you click "Map: <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/mapcity.php?mtype=e&lat=34709956&long=3109585" target=_blank>view</a>" (try even here) you get the map with a red mark that is the location of my photo (coordinates 52.9631934, 4.7448492). (I put that also on my note, but that's a simple link, like those I'm using in this message.)
Francisco
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that feature. I guess it's for photographers who carry a GPS with them.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
TE Expert

"I guess it's for photographers who carry a GPS with them."

Not only. I have no GPS but I remember the location of most photos; then, I go to satellite view (or also street view) of Google Maps, or bird's eye view of Bing Maps, and I confirm the position. Usually I see Google Maps by means of WikiMapia and I see the coordinates on the URL web page address. For example my last photo is located at latitude = 52.9616036 & longitude = 4.7433257, which corresponds to the cross center pointer on WikiMapia as you can see at this address:
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=52.9616036&lon=4.7433257&z=16&l=0&m=b&v=1.
But, sometimes I don't remember or don't know the precise location. For example, this one: <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo327801.htm" target=_blank>The real middle of nowhere</a>. It is in the Death Valley NP, north of the Badwater Bassin, somewhere on the Badwater Rd (178?), or on road 190. I cannot find a place similar to my shot on satellite view, not even on street view. Maybe you can help me to locate my shot ;-)
Francisco
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
TE Newbie

Good proposition but...

Even with current settings there are problems in high latitudes.
The problem is in the zooming of the map. At the moment you must either zoom out (- button) or press the map-button to get an image in the map location window to show.

You can try with this image (select map wiew) webpages .

Hope you fix this!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
TE Expert

Hi Pentti,
I don't really understand your issue. Or, if I understand, it has no relation with high latitudes. The zooming (or better detail) depends on the quality of satellite views provided by Google Maps. For example in this zoom in view of <a href="http://maps.google.pt/maps?hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF8&ll=16.886283,-24.987019&spn=0.002592,0.003428&t=k&z=18" target=_blank>Mindelo</a> city (S„o Vicente Island, Cape Verde) you can see the cars on the streets (ca. 1 mm on my screen). But in some parts of Santiago Island (Cape Verde) the <a href="http://maps.google.pt/maps?hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=15.316555,-23.706093&spn=0.041805,0.054846&z=14" target=_blank>image is much poor</a>.
Francisco
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TE Newbie

I just meant that there are parts of the world that don't show anything with the current settings in map view. The high latitudes were just an example.

The solution would be just to show as a default the map view and then the user could choose whatever he or she wants, be it terrain or something else.

Pentti
Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Francisco,
I have been lazy in following this thread, even that I started it, :-) I did not know WikiMapia gives the coordinates in a form which as such are usable for TE. Google Maps does not give the coordinates directly in the version given in our country, but one has to dig them out behind the "link" provided. That was one reason, why I made my own application, which is based on Google Maps. One can find it here. One can also easily save a customised bookmark, so the map always starts from a place of your own choice and has one's preferred map type and preferred scale as defaults. A couple of TE members already use it.
Lasse

Last edited by ellelloo; 03-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
TE Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBsteph View Post
hey guys

everyone loves the idea. this will definitely be added to our list of new features to be added down the road..
Hi IBsteph,

Thanks a lot for the change, which today was on-line together with the new forum.
Now the Terrain map view is as one alternative in TE map view! Great!
Lasse