Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: This Version of TE is Horrible

I fully agree with you, it is horrible. I wondered for a time whether it is just familiarity with the old version that made me to think so negative about the new version. But the feeling persists. Apart from the adds, I find the new version cold, uninviting and disorganized. I just couldn't adapt myself to it....
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
TE Newbie

I enjoy looking at the photographs; so many talented people here. BUT. This site sucks as far as being able to read anything. I like to read the photographer's comments, but the color of the fonts is so low contrast that I have an extremely hard time making out the words. Whatever happened to black and white, and by black, I mean a really strong black, not a charcoal or deep grey. And light beige on a darker beige just doesn't work at all! Too many sites go for an artsy look and forget about the problems some people have with vision. I think that should be taken into consideration. The only reason I still check out this site is to view the wonderful scenes and pictures that the talented photographers have posted. Otherwise, this site makes me feel as if my eyes are on their last legs - if they had legs, so to speak! Can someone improve upon this site's footprint? This may seem petty to some people (those with excellent vision), but for me it is a real concern. If anyone can do something, I would be eternally grateful!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks a lot to Isabela_sor for the OLD version of our site!

I agree with everybody - I do NOT like at all the present version of the Trek Earth.
I am sorry for designers too, but I am lost on my own page!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
TE Junior Member

Being active a little on TrekEarth and a lot on TrekLens, I have been able to compare the two layouts for several weeks now and cannot but fully agree with the complaint formulated in this thread. This has nothing to do with resisting change. The new TrekEarth layout simply doesn’t work compared with the old one still used by TrekLens.

Compare it with photography: form (composition, colour saturation, etc.) should follow function – should make “sense”. This isn’t the case at all with the new TrekEarth design.

Some examples:
- ridiculously small font size (not good at all for photographer’s eyes!);
- weak contrast between the font colour and the background colour, which also affects the readability of the site;
- unconveniently arranged and inconsistent layout of the photo info (date taken, exif info, etc.): sometimes, it appears near to the photo itself (which seems logic to me), but it also happens that the photo info is “pushed” towards the bottom of the page (because of the length of the critiques or their number???). The way the photo, the photographer’s note and the photo info were “concentrated” in the previous layout (and still on TrekLens) is much more easy-to-use-and-to-read;
- you need more clicks to have access to specific information, such as the photo gallery for a specific country. Before, you just had a list called “Continent”; now, it is called “Explore Most Popular Destinations on Earth!” and even then, you still don’t obtain immediately the entire list of countries belonging to the continent of your choice. By the way, could it be that the expression “Explore Most Popular Destinations on Earth” illustrates an ongoing shift from a photo site towards a kind of advertisement support site for tourist destinations?
- the layout of the photo discussion threads looks quite “messy” compared with the old layout;
- letters like p, y, g, etc. loose their bottom part, at least in the name of the person who critiques a photo (am I the only one to notice that?);
et cetera…

The only positive aspect I can see is that the points given to a photo do not appear anymore behind the photo title of the thumbnail. But for me, that doesn’t make any difference as I already had switched off points and photographer’s name, in order to look at the thumbnails without being influenced by that information.

As I don’t notice any change to the new layout, in spite of the numerous complaints, I’d like to know to who we can address our suggestions (or does it suffice to mention them in a forum thread like this one?) and – even more important – if the site owners have the intention to take our suggestions into account. That would be greatly appreciated!

I for myself DO hope that this new layout will NOT “migrate” to TrekLens…

A nice day to you all,
E.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
TE Expert

Oh well, they could use both sites, the beta automatically when logged in, the beta could be upgraded with the color settings only on the backgrounds, not the now easy readable text but more important than 'Keeping up the appearances' is an upgrade of the functionality of the beta.

I think that when the beta would be removed, even more members will be gone, the end of TE ?. The administration gave with this new look a good example how you can destruct a site, that's the only credit they had sofar.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 PM
TE Expert

Whe The Beta will be removed, I shall use Firexfox and all the publicty will be removed of my screen, even in the others sites
Cheers
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
TE Expert

Hi Erik
The person to complain to and offer suggestions to is brent.conver@internetbrands.com
However at the time of the changeover there were many complaints about the same things.
Good luck
Kath
Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Oh yeah. I don't like this new version either. the new one is very catchy and content rich. the cosmetic part of this web site is attractive. but I completely lost interest in navigating around. nor I see any of my fellow TE members who I use to communicate with except Henk (Oochappan). May be I'm not giving myself time to learn to navigate the new interface. On this note, I struggled to get my new AJAX enabled Yahoo mail site as well. so it could be me. But I find hard to change my perception about this site .

Rajesh
Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: color of the fonts

To help readers, I put black color on my notes. This in the beginning:
< f o n t c o l o r = b l a c k >
and this in the end:
< / f o n t >
(without spaces, except between "font" and "color").
But I don't know how to change the size.
I agree with the other problems that everybody complain.
Let's hope the owners of the site read the complains and fix the problems. Otherwise, I guess that they'll loose money.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: color of the fonts

< FONT SIZE= 1 > for a smaller size and 3 for a bigger size, please have a look to my last post.