The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips-Techniques (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone with Adobe Lightroom experience? (https://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706404)

danielswalsh 01-06-2009 12:13 AM

Anyone with Adobe Lightroom experience?

Hi everyone;

In LR2 I have a bunch of folders on my external hardrive that have different file name formats (ie: 2008/ December 19, or 19-12-2008, or Dec. 19th 2008 etc.) As you can see, I prefer to sort my folders by date...

Upon importing you have an option of the date format, but is there anyway to do it once they have been imported?

Kind Regards,
- Dan

macondo 01-06-2009 05:45 AM

Re: Anyone with Adobe Lightroom experience?

Hi Dan.
Sorry I can't answer your question straight off, but I have this habit of naming my folders by date in such a way as to allow them to be sorted by NAME to give a chronological order.
I name all folders with the date first in this format:
2008.12.31 New Years Eve
2009.01.06 Perth shots

That is, year.month.date folder name
You MUST, of course, use the zero before single digits from 1 to 9
Now, sort by NAME and you get the folders in chronological order.
The same method can be used for bulk renamed files.

Don't know if that's any use to you at all. Admittedly, I don't import into programs like Lightroom, I just access folders/files in explorer and open them in Faststone Image Viewer and from there Photoshop for editing.

Regards,
Andrew

danielswalsh 01-06-2009 06:23 AM

Hi Andrew;

I appreciate you taking the time to reply... I too like to keep my photos organised by date as mentioned in my previous e-mail, however I guess that's why the e-mail was so Lightroom specific- as I'm searching for a certain way to get those already imported folders into a different date format.

Does anyone have Lightroom and knows what I'm referring to?

Cheers,
- Dan

luisafonso 01-06-2009 08:52 AM

When you import photos from device or from disk and choose to copy or move the files to a new location, you have three choices (if I remember this correctly, as I don't have LR here right now):
* Into One Folder Copies or moves the imported photos into a new folder.
* By Original Folders Maintains the original hierarchy for the folders that contain the imported photos.
* By Date Specifies a date name for the folder that contains the imported photos.
That last option creates a structure like YEAR/Date... Isn't that what you looking for? LR is not very good naming folders... But you can rename files like you want, but that you probably know. What I usually do is create the folders myself, and then import without copying or moving the files...
Hope it helps, l.

Luko 01-06-2009 03:57 PM

"as I'm searching for a certain way to get those already imported folders into a different date format."
Yes, from what I understand of your problem, there is one simple way.

I suppose you have already imported the folder in LR2 and it's there in the LR folder list sitting with its silly name.
In LR2, you simply have to right click on the LR folder name and rename it : once done you'll see that on your drive it has ALSO been renamed.

Does it reply your question, Dan?
Cheers
Luko